Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is it really the death of closed media? - comment

I wanted to address this issue as it took somewhat of a different approach to research it. Unlike the other blogs which could easily have been written relying solely on course content and podcasts, the death of closed media, like online predators required far greater research to provide a true insight.

The blog itself addresses the death of closed media; however develops further to include comment on possible directions it could take to survive. To impress this stance on my readers I opened with a quote from Musings, in which he states, ‘The handwriting is on the wall: whether you like it or not, traditional closed media is screwed unless and until they learn how to function in a computer network-centric environment’ (2007, 3). From this I commented further on what taking this direction would cost closed media and questioned its worth.

My favourite point was questioning whether or not you could kill closed media, referring to the quote, ‘Personally i don't think we could ever lose closed media, because i will never curl up in bed with a cup of coffee and a good computer screen’ (Closed Media blog 2008, 2).

I would have liked to include a graph visualising the growth and decline of closed media abundance, however I could not find any that clearly displayed this trend.